11.13.2008

My Favorite Maps

I've always been interested in maps and geography.  So much so that I would bite out the shapes of all 50 states from one piece of American cheese as a kid (I'm not kidding).  So, here are a few of my favorite maps.  Many can be found at strangemaps - a great blog!  Maybe if pH still reads this blog he can add some others.

1) Area Codes In Which Ludacris Claims to Have Hoes
There is a great write-up about this here.

2) Music Map of the United States
View big here.
Looks pretty good. However, I think they forgot Speed Garage somewhere in California.

3) Generic Names for Soft Drinks by County
I'm sure you've seen this, but it is pretty awesome.  If there was a way to isolate my house, it would be skewed by my dad's use of "Pepsi" to refer to all soft drinks.

4) Prevalence of States Mentioned in Country-Music Lyrics
I was shocked there's no mention of New Hampshire in Country!

5) Percentage of Light Hair in Europe
This is mainly to challenge my wife's claim to Swedish ancestry.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Before I pass on from this earthly domain, it is my sincerest desire that I may someday witness this awesome display of cheese eating prowess (good god man!).

1. Out-freakin'-standing. Perhaps a tour to the Pacific Northwest??

2. Man, I know the Midwest is white, but goodness...

3. My Nana from Eastern Tennessee calls all sodas "coke."

4. I'd like to think that "the North" is an oft-mentioned state in country music. Challenge accepted, OME: I will take it upon myself to cement New Hampshire's legacy in the realm of the honky tonk.

5. I have light hair, just not much of it!

Tripp said...

Awesome post. The only one I read all the way through on my reader today.